How To Support Mental Health At Work – Mental health plays a crucial role in overall well-being, and poor mental health can impact many areas of your life, even your business relationships and productivity. Spending time maintaining your mental health is essential for living a balanced life, including within the professional realm. Gone is the fallacy that your personal life stays at home, separate from your work life—we now know that your inner state constantly impacts your behavior, and businesses recognise the professional benefits that come from investing in the mental health of their employees.
At Horizon Plymouth, we understand the multifaceted layers inherent in mental health and have seen first-hand the tangible business benefits that stem from fostering a mentally healthy environment. These benefits may include:
- Improved productivity: Mental well-being plays an incredibly important role in concentration levels, problem-solving abilities, and creativity. Additionally, those with improved mental health are more resilient and can adapt to change at higher rates. When you feel mentally healthy, you are much more likely to be engaged, focused, and efficient and this is apparent in both work quality and productivity levels.
- Greater employee retention: When workers have higher levels of mental health, the entire work environment as a whole benefits. Employees are more likely to feel supported and happy at their jobs, making it much more likely that they will remain with the company long-term.
- Open communication and enhanced teamwork: With the positive company culture that is created when employees have higher levels of mental health comes greater communication, which fosters a mutual environment where employees feel connected, valued, and motivated. This nurtures collaboration, teamwork, and a sense of community among employees.
A positive mental state results in improved resilience and effective stress management in today’s dynamic business environment, making the prioritisation of supporting mental health at work a strategic investment for personal and professional success. When you take the time to improve your inner self, your work performance is also improved as a result.
Additionally, from a business perspective, investing in the mental health of your employees is an important priority, as all of the aforementioned benefits result in increased profits and the development of a stable, resilient, and experienced workforce. Showing that you are prioritising the mental health of those who work for you helps to create a supportive environment with loyal employees who feel that their contributions are valued. Other benefits for the businesses themselves include:
- Lower turnover: A mentally healthy work environment results in lower turnover rates, reducing associated recruitment and training costs.
- Reduced absenteeism: Employees with good mental health are less likely to take sick leave due to stress-related issues, contributing to reduced absenteeism.
- Greater recruiting potential: Companies that are committed to mental health initiatives are more appealing to potential employees, providing a competitive advantage when it comes to recruiting top talent.
Companies that actively prioritise mental well-being among their employees reap numerous benefits, from increased productivity and employee retention to a positive company culture and financial savings. As businesses continue to evolve, recognising and addressing the mental health needs of employees should be a fundamental aspect of corporate strategy. By doing so, organisations not only support the holistic well-being of their workforce but also position themselves for sustained success in the competitive business landscape.
Whether you are an individual who would like more information about the benefits that improved mental health can have for your professional life, or a business seeking to invest in the mental health of your employees, Horizon Plymouth can help you reach your goals. Contact Horizon Plymouth to schedule an initial consultation today and start prioritising mental health today.